This week we caught up with Kristy Tillman, a former designer at IDEO who now leads the design charge at Society of Grownups. We had a great time chatting across a huge range of topics, from diversity in tech to meatspace user onboarding!
If you have feedback or suggestions please don't hesitate to reach us on Twitter at @designdetailsfm email us directly (firstname.lastname@example.org)!
Episode 4 Sponsors:
Weebly (http://weebly.com) and their Dribbble team(http://dribbble.com/weebly)
Hover(http://hover.com) - use coupon code "thatshouldbeaplugin" to save 10% on your first purchase
Kristy Tillman on the Web:
Society of Grownups (https://www.societyofgrownups.com)
Detroit Water Project (https://www.detroitwaterproject.org)
00:00 - We catch up with Kristy about what she's working on
- Society of Grownups (https://www.societyofgrownups.com)
- IDEO (http://www.ideo.com/)
- Detroit Water Project (https://www.detroitwaterproject.org)
03:00 - Kristy tells us about her involvement in YC Winter '15 and the future plans for the Detroit Water Project
07:00 - We explore some of Kristy's work in helping marginalized communities, including why there's less diversity in tech
- NY Times: Women and Minorities as Targets of Attack Online (http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2014/08/19/the-war-against-online-trolls/women-and-minorities-as-targets-of-attack-online)
- Diversity reports:
--- Twitter (https://blog.twitter.com/2014/building-a-twitter-we-can-be-proud-of)
--- Apple (https://www.apple.com/diversity/)
--- Facebook (http://newsroom.fb.com/news/2014/06/building-a-more-diverse-facebook)
--- Google (http://www.google.com/diversity/at-google.htm)
- Youth Design (http://www.youthdesign.org)
- Eddie Opara (http://new.pentagram.com/category/partners/eddie-opara/)
- Jared Erondu (http://jarederondu.com)
15:30 - Kristy adds context to explaining why there are fewer prominent female designers
- The Confidence Code (http://theconfidencecode.com)
- Lean In (http://leanin.org)
- Satya Nadella: Women, Don't Ask for a Raise (http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/10/microsoft-ceo-satya-nadella-women-dont-ask-for-a-raise)
- Imposter syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome)
19:00 - We circled back around to talk about Kristy's current work at Society of Grownups
- Society of Grownups(https://www.societyofgrownups.com)
- Dan Cassaro (http://youngjerks.com)
- Erik Marinovich (http://www.erikmarinovich.com)
30:15 - What is the hardest design challenge you're working on right now?
32:00 - Can budgeting apps be effective, or do we need the human element to properly manage money?
36:30 - Kristy explains some of the challenges in hiring for designers and developers on the East Coast
- Christopher Michon (https://twitter.com/cmchn)
43:30 - Into the details: Meatspace user onboarding
49:00 - How does work in the physical space translate into building digital products?